Monday, May 26, 2008

Sticking to the Law Business

My wife caught me reading Strunk & White's Elements of Style. It is a small book on writing, a primer on clear and concise writing. She thinks I am crazy. I can't disagree. I read great writing, and I want to do it. I read my favorite writer's blogs, yes, blogs, and I want to be able to write like they do. I read a Hemingway short story, and I want to kill myself. I read it, want to do it, try it, fail at it and feel crappy about it. It is so hard to do and doesn't come to me easily. So I read Elements of Style and hope for inspiration. I am better off reading The Enquirer. The writing in that tabloid does not inspire suicide.

The R. Kelly trial is in full swing. During jury selection, I had to go into that courtroom. They have their own Sheriff's security team, screening all who enter, metal detectors and everything. You would expect to then board a plane. Initially, they made me pull out my ID and empty my pockets. After a few moments, the sergeant in charge said, "He is a lawyer; he has been in a courtroom before; he knows what to do." Later, I rode down the elevator with him. I said, "Some setup." He said, "Yeah, I should have brought my big, floppy shoes and red nose." He is right. It's a circus, a black-eye to the legal system.

You have the judge, Ringmaster Ned, leading the nonsense. You have the lawyers, hamming it up with their "pointed" questions and phony demeanor, yelling and bellowing at witnesses. The media plays it all up, giving everyone a forum for their acting. The case has no victim, or a victim who cares. She and her family continue to honor their promise, keeping their mouths shut for money. That would be in contrast to every other witness in the case who was paid off, and yet still testify against their benefactor.

On our descent, the sergeant and I lamented the true nature of 26th Street. While this legal farce continues, there are issues of real consequence being decided in the building. Family members of murder victims seeking closure and some idea of peace, defendants accused falsely of committing a crime, some of the best lawyers and prosecutors in America conducting the business of justice with honor and professionalism, unconcerned about their names being in print or their faces appearing on television.

As all of this occurs, Memorial Day is upon us. Many lawyers, especially defense lawyers, like to tell potential jurors that jury service is the second most important duty that can be undertaken by an American citizen. They also may say that our soldiers defend our freedom and our way of life. They will point to our legal system as the best, and the one truly American institution that separates us from the rest of the world. I am one of those lawyers. I say those things because I believe them with my whole heart and soul.

I believe that to shirk jury service, to trivialize it or blow it off, is a slap in the face to every soldier that picked up a rifle and served this country. I am sickened by the excuses given for being unable to serve on a jury or being unable to answer the questions honestly. They sicken me, these so-called Americans. Their lives are trivial in comparison to the lives of those who make such sacrifices on their behalf. Take a few hours or days and give the justice system your best. It is the least you can do.

Today, I consider the the commitment of our soldiers and all who assist in their efforts. I think of all those who have paid the price of freedom throughout our history. They are the reason I have this vocation. I honor them by my commitment to justice and our system of government and laws. I try to remember them every time I step into the well of a courtroom and open my mouth. I hope I do them proud.

No comments: