Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Looks Like Tarzan. Plays Like Jane.

I am going to refrain from commenting on the Lance Briggs situation. He is dead to me. All of this money, agent, franchise player discussion confuses and scares me. I'm just a caveman. I will comment on the news out of Halas Hall that freshly drafted OLB Michael Okwo of Stanford "fits the Bears' OLB mold." How can they say this? Well, of course, he looked great at the rookie mini-camp held over this past weekend. Now there is a true and accurate test of a player. A newly-minted rookie plays touch football in his underwear with a bunch of other college players. Whoopee! I feel better about our defense already. I may be a loyal, spout the party line when it comes to fiscal responsibilty, Bears fan, but I am not blind. This whole situation sucks.

Here's why. When in doubt, let's go to the tape. This weekend, I watched two games from last year, the Bucs and the playoff game vs. Seattle. I watched our dearly departed OLB. When he wasn't making the tackle, he was always around the ball. He plays loose and explodes to the point of impact. He is football-fast and is good in pass coverage. In the Seattle game, he made the game-winning stop on Shaun Alexander. Enough said. He deserves his Pro Bowl recognition.

So, Jerry Angelo and Love Muffin, I don't want to hear about Michael Okwo's "measurables." You don't know if he fits the mold. You don't know if can play. The dead guy can play. The dead guy posed for the mold. Just let me mourn the loss. In fact, you should join me.

No comments: