Friday, May 25, 2007

My Off-Season

I probably made a mistake by starting an all-Bears blog in May. The post-draft/pre-camp months are very uneventful. This might be bad for blogging, but it is good for recharging the gridiron battery. I need the break. A full season of football wears me out.

In younger days, sports dominated my life. "All sports, every season" was my motto. I would watch anything, rodeo, lacrosse, whatever, as long as they kept score. Now it is just football and college basketball. I gave up on baseball; pro basketball is pure crap. You already saw my hockey post. I really don't like professional athletes. Most of all, I despise golf. It is a huge waste of time. I think that the powers-that-be should rename the game of golf. They should call it "AMF" (Avoiding My Family).

I refuse to watch Arena football. It makes no sense to me. The reality is that it is not football. It's indoor soccer with pads. The NFL Europe is just minor league football, slower and less skilled professionals. I won't watch that either. Why blow my diet with a McDonald's cheeseburger? If I'm going down, it is with a Morton's burger. If they offered real football (NFL, high school, whatever) in the spring and summer, I would be doomed.

It is a 6 month season. Some will say, and you know who you are, a 6 month obsession. What can I say? I love it. It makes me feel like a kid. But now when the season is over, I need a break from football and caring about sports. After all, I am not a kid anymore. Those damn bills that keep coming in the mail remind me of that.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I also loathe golf. I tried to get into that about 6 years ago, and have long since sold my clubs. I can't think of anything more boring.