Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Alas, another season has ended. (I just wanted to use the word "Alas")

I am not melancholy about the end to the Bears' season. It was painful to watch. There will be a time to contemplate the future, not today. I just know that the Bears organization is not a dynamic or exciting group. I know that we can't expect great things from this franchise year in and year out. If we have a good season, it is a fluke. That is how it has been since the end of the Ditka era. The Bears are afraid to have that kind of personality running the team again.

It was a great era, the Ditka era. He expected to win and that rubbed off on the whole city. But I knew it was time for him to go, when he was fired. I never thought that I would miss him so much. Hiring Ditka was George Halas' last great move on this earth. Before that, Halas had a great move in 1943. We need to move in some modern ownership. And while I'm at it, I also need to win the Powerball twice in one month. Cynical, but true.

Today, we celebrate college football. Specifically, the Illini play in the Rose Bowl against the highly-favored USC Trojans. You heard it here, Illinois will win. I just have a feeling. That's about all I have. So, quite possibly, I could be eating this post in 12 hours. It is much more fun to feel good and be optimistic, however. It is a new year, full of promise. Let's look forward to something. Plus, USC's quarterback is named "Booty." This has to bode well for the Orange and Blue.

I am ready to grind out another year. There is no surprise as to what is ahead for 2008. I realize that this doesn't sound very exciting, but raising and supporting a family is hard work. I take joy in the effort. I am not the type of person that waits around with a hand out, looking for a windfall. I need to earn my success in all aspects of my life, as a husband, a father and a provider. I want to do my best every day. It is a constant responsibility. The reward is the devotion and love I receive from my family. That feels great. It makes me want to live forever.

No comments: