Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Favorite Sports Movie...No, I'm Not a Queer.

I have seen every sports-related movie ever made. At least, all the sports movies worth taking a look at. I exclude the last three movies starring "The Rock." If I have to explain why, well, you can stop reading now.

Most sports movies seriously blow. There is really nothing better than true sporting events viewed as they happen. The best reality TV ever. However, there are a few sports movies that are truly worthy of multiple sittings. The first Rocky, Hoosiers, North Dallas Forty, Miracle are some that come to the forefront. The Longest Yard and Bad News Bears qualify. The originals, not the recent remakes. They wouldn't make a film like the original Bad News Bears today. Maybe the most politically incorrect movie ever made. Hilarious.

My favorite sports movie is Chariots of Fire. Many movie buffs still rail that Chariots beat out Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Best Picture Oscar in 1981. Boo hoo. Chariots tells the story of two members of the 1924 British Olympic team. Two runners, Harold Abrahams and Eric Lidell. It is a tale of personalities, an obsessed Abrahams and the driven Lidell. It has everything that is great about sports, effort, competition, sacrifice, failure, glory and redemption. For my purposes, there is a character, Aubrey Montague, that reminds me of myself, of what I am and wanted to be and most importantly, what I never could be.

It is an inspirational movie and really, it's not boring at all. I know you think it is, but it's not. It always inspires me to achieve. "Where does one find the strength to see the race through to it's end? From within."

No comments: