Saturday, January 12, 2008

To Season Ticket or Not to Season Ticket...a Bear Question

Should I get 2008 season tickets? I am struggling with the decision. I really don't want to spend the money on them. I would rather put it toward a vacation with the family. I really cannot get inspired to drop the $1100 on this franchise. The Bears ownership is so concerned about the bottom line; why shouldn't I be? In truth, I kind of broke even by selling this season's tickets at inflated prices. But the thought of supporting Lovie Smith in any way gives me a dull ache behind my eyes.

It is not about the Bears spending money. It is about lousy personnel decisions. Spend the right amount of money on good players. You don't have to chase after the "free-agent dujour." How about not overspending for your lousy coach? How about creating competition at every position? How about...? Oh, screw it.

All I ever wanted in the realm of pro sports was to have Bears season tickets. Now that I have had them for a few years, I find myself not wanting to go to Soldier Field. It is not all that much fun, really. There is an obnoxious faction of attendees, with the boozing and all. Not really a place for the kids, and I have a lot of those. So, if I cannot be with my family, I don't enjoy being gone so long on a weekend day. In fact, watching the game live is difficult. Those TV timeouts are much easier to deal with at home. There is already enough down time in the game of football. Standing through the constant stoppages, with no actual snap for stretches at a time is aggravating. Better to be at home, with bathroom proximity, no lines (most of the time) and reasonably priced food and drink. Plus, I enjoy having the family watch with me, for the 3 or 4 plays that they watch with me.

I am talking myself into this. Let's keep going. Another reason to drop is the lack of consistent winning with this team. We have a good year, then two or three bad years. That does not inspire me. I have no faith in the top guys here. I would rather go to a North Central game. Three straight years in the playoffs. Now that gets me motivated. Ticket prices for old NC are $5. It is about the football. I can watch my friends coach a good high school team on Friday night. I can take a short trip to see one of my Knox roommates coach in the NFL. I can actually root for someone I know. I'm getting my roll on.

The only reason to keep them tickets is for the playoffs. Here, however, you are buying at least 3 seasons worth of tickets for one home playoff game...maybe. Suze Orman would stamp a big "DENIED" on my forehead with that logic. As for my decision, I won't see that bill for a little while. This year, they better wait until the last possible minute. My heart's not in it.

No comments: