Saturday, January 12, 2008

I Am Yelling AT YOU!!! Watch the Playoffs.

I hate the week long pre-hash of the upcoming slate of games. You have these big ESPN talking heads screaming their predictions and prognostications at you as if they are saying, "If you don't believe what I say, you are a fucking idiot." These are mostly sportswriters who are slumming on TV for the extra cash. Everyone wants to be on TV and get "paid." How tiresome. They don't know shit, and the only view of their mugs we should be subjected to is the photo attached to their byline in their columns that you wouldn't even read on the toilet. So there.

The other waste of my prized listening time is the weekly "guarantee of victory" prediction with the follow-up 1100 questions to the player who said "I guarantee a win on Sunday." Who really thinks that this actually matters? It did the first time someone said it. Joe Namath in 1968. And he really didn't say it. What he said was, in summary, we will take the field on Super Bowl Sunday believing that we will win. Find me a player who doesn't believe that when they take the field. If you don't believe that, well, you leave the field on a flat-bed cart. This is the biggest red herring in the sports media. I find myself watching less and less ESPN. Yes, this is a bad thing.

Only a few games left for this football season. Hopefully, they will live up to all of the loud hype.

No comments: