Friday, August 31, 2007

I Wish I Was in Dixie.

I love the South. Not the Southside, but the South. Any chance that I get to travel down below Springfield is worth taking. I mean, they even have sweet tea and great barbecue in southern Illinois. However, I would like to keep going and get deep in the heart of Dixie. That is where my football obsession would be seen as a personality strength.

I have been to three SEC football games, and they put the football-North to shame. Knoxville, Gainesville and Baton Rouge-Tennessee, Florida and LSU, respectively. UT was the best. "Rocky Top" on permanent rotation, orange everywhere, nicest people and kick-ass stadium. I'm going back...someday soon. The fans in all three spots were relentless. As much as I hate Florida, Gator fans are the best. They stand throughout the game, cheer loudly, sing songs, do that stupid "gator chomp", they are the closest thing to English soccer fans as America can provide. LSU was alright. We missed the real tailgating due to our late arrival. I hear the campus is beautiful, but the stadium is overrated. Maybe a night game...hmmm.

They are college football crazy. Being from the North, I am mainly an NFL-Bears guy. However, I will always catch those SEC games on the tube. And pine for those tailgates under the palmetto or pecan trees. I bet there are no itch mites down in football paradise.

As for the last practice game, we got a knee to the groin with an Olsen sprained knee. No need for him to be out there, Love Muffin. Just admit the mistake. This guy is starting to sound like a politician. All I know is that on September 9, they best be ready to play. I will not concede this game because it is on the road and against an AFC power. No excuses, just win, baby.

No comments: