Monday, September 3, 2007

It's Getting Better All the Time.

I noticed that recently departed, Dtackle Ian Scott, was released by his new team. Just another example of the Bears GM and coaches constantly evaluating their own talent. That is an important part of the salary cap NFL success process. Not only must you evaluate the college players and NFL players on other teams, you must continue to truthfully evaluate your own talent. Bill Belichick is the master at this skill. The Bears did not value Scott at the price he would demand with the injury he was recovering from, so they let him go. Then, they went out and bolstered their depth at the position. The Bears are working within the current system with great success. It makes me feel warm all over.

I am ready for the real game on Sunday. I am bringing the lunch pail along with the Monsters. 11 wins and a home playoff game is the goal. More importantly, they must be a tougher team than last year. Mentally tougher. In order to beat the best on a regular basis, the Bears have to be better than last year right now. Then by Week 17, they must be even better. Not just one guy, all of the guys. Stay healthy, boys.

I'm not pulling any punches this year. Our window is closing with these players. Now is the time. Keep that chip on the shoulder. Arizona in January sounds great. Anything less is unacceptable. I will rip 'em.

On Labor Day, I must grill with charcoal. I have a turkey breast on the big Weber right now. Baked potatoes and corn to follow. Good year for the sweet corn. Reminds me of a tailgate tale. One opener vs. the Lions, I rode with my crew; I had not yet taken the cooking reigns in my own hands. Kevin had brought a good size grill, a larger Smokey Joe, and had put a bag of pre-lit charcoal in the belly of the grill. The bag took up all of the space in the grill. I pulled the bag out to dump in some coals. Kevin's pal, Billy, said, "No, just light the whole bag inside the grill." I protested but to no avail. He lit the bag, and soon, a geyser of flame erupted from the small grill. You couldn't get within 10 feet of that thing. It was like cooking on the sun. That day made me. I took over the tailgating from there on. I also got my first lesson on heat control. Along with some flame-induced eyebrow removal.

No comments: